About Me:

I am a professional Pet Groomer. I have been grooming for 28 years. This Blog is a kind of diary of my work. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Most days are fun, some can be sad, some can be just down right crazy. If you are a pet owner and come across this blog, I hope it helps you understand how your pet is groomed. If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. Maybe even learn a grooming tip or can leave a friendly grooming tip for me. There is always something to learn, no matter how long you have been grooming.

Monday, November 12, 2012

Bloopers

I haven't been posting as much lately, because I have been working on a Christmas present for my customers.
Something simple, but it takes a lot of my time up at night.






 I am taking pictures of my furry customers and making calendars to give to their owners at Christmas.

I did this for my customers about 5 years ago and it was a hit, so I am doing it again this year.








As everyone can see from my blog, I love taking pictures.
I am very much an amateur photographer.
My pictures are for fun, but I do try really hard to get a nice shot of the dogs to give to their owners.

I give professional pet photographers all the credit in the world.
It must take them hours to get the perfect picture.
I only have a few minutes after each groom to get the best picture that I can.



I am convinced that some dogs are real hams in front of the camera.

I have had some dogs where I have only needed to snap a few pictures and all of them come out great.

I swear that they sit there and pose.





Some dogs are down right scared when I pick up the camera and put it in front of my face.
I have had a couple of dogs freakout at the fabric hanging on the wall behind them.
There are others that can not be trusted for even a second, for me to back away from them to take a picture.

Then there are the ones that are way too happy and can't stand still to save their lives.


Like this little lady.

She has to be one the happiest Pomeranian's that I have ever met.

You can not talk to her when you groom her, or she will do nothing but wiggle, squirm, and roll over on her back...and do the happy tinkle.

How do you get a dog like that to lift her ears?

Any noise that you make she thinks that you want her to sail into your arms.





And, she moves, and wiggles, and crawls all over the place.

Most of my pictures of her looked like this.

The picture above was one of only three pictures that were not blurred.

The only problem was,  in the picture above, she didn't have her ears up.

I spent 10 minutes making noises, trying to get her to lift her ears.


Ten minutes does not sound like long, but when you have other dogs waiting to be groomed, it is forever.


So, what did I end up with?






A belly shot.

Can't you just see her saying; "Here...how is this for a pose?!"





I have a lot of blooper shots.
I can just see the dogs making comments as I am trying to take the pictures.
So, I thought that I would have some fun and share some of the bloopers pictures, and what I think the dogs are thinking.

Sit back and have fun looking at my blooper pictures. :)









" Wait! Wait! I need to fix my mustache."








" How is this for a grin?"










"Look, I can touch my eye with my tongue!"








"What?...What's that ya sayin'?"







" What did you get me into this time?!"









" What do you mean I moved? I didn't move."










"How is this side?"








"Are you done yet? I would really like to take a nap now."









"How is this for a nice big smile?"









"No, I will not look at the camera."










"Why can't I stick my tongue out?!"









"You told me to put my head up!"









" I don't want to smile."









"Did you get a good picture yet?"









"What is that squeaking sound. Is that a toy? I want it!"








"Wait! I blinked!"







"What do you mean I have to sit next to him?"









"It isn't bad enough that I was dragged in here to have my nails clipped...now this!"









"I am ready for my picture to be taken!"









"Picture? You mean that this isn't my new bed?"









"What do you mean, stop making faces."









"Yaaaawn.....are we done yet?"










"I WANT TO GO HOME!"









"Hurry, take the picture. My ear itches."










"Night, night."










Happy Grooming, MFF

6 comments:

  1. I love it! Maybe I'll have to do a similar blog post on messed up pictures. Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are pretty funny and i really like to look at your groomed dog photos. They all look so neat and tidy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    Just wanted to pop in and say hi :) I read your blog quite a bit!
    Im a guy groomer in rural Ireland and because of my location I dont get half of the glamorous and fun grooms you get to do!
    Most of my dogs are collies, cockers and an insane amount of bichons! And 80% of these the owners just want tight cuts that will last for 6 months :(
    Before I set up in my area dog grooming was unheard of, and its taken me two and a half years now to properly get on my feet, my customers appreciate me and the effort I put in, well most do anyway :P
    I am so envious of the various poodles, labradoodles, shih tzus with long coats etc.. that u get to groom and im proud to say ive convinced many of my regulars to not just get smoothies cuts but to invest a little in getting their dog looking super!
    Its impossible to schedule grooms far in advance, people here just arent interested, as I say grooming culture here was none existant before I set up shop! I usually have only a week or two booked up in advance and it can be hard to make money because of the attitude of locals but im glad to say the tide is turning. Im blessed that I was able to set up shop in a converted garage next to my parents house which has everything any top groomer has so my bills and outgoings are minimal!
    Sorry for rambling but I just wanted to say thank you for this wonderful blog and to give you an insight to grooming on the other side of the world in farmland Ireland :)
    And also just to say that if you ever feel tired of this blog and think people dont read it, know that you have helped me IMMENSELY! Apart from all your helpful tips and tricks its so encouraging to have someone talk so honestly about the troubles all us groomers deal with daily. Whenever I feel a bit down about the days groomings for whatever reason, tough dogs, or more likely tough owners, I read your blog and always come away encouraged :)
    So thank you again and keep up the great work :)

    DJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the comment DJ,
      It is wonderful to hear from someone from Ireland, as place that I would love to visit one day. My Great grandmother was from Ireland. :) It's funny...we were just at the Irish Festival here last weekend. :)
      That farm mentality is here too. That is why I commute 40 minutes to work everyday. I live in a very rural area (a mix of farmland and small housing communities) and all of the farmers around here let their dogs run free, and don't really believe in spending money to wash their dogs. My neighbor just lets his two Labs go for a swim in the pond and thinks they have had a bath! omg do they stink. lol
      It sounds to me like you are doing pretty good to be booked up one to two weeks in such a farming community. I would love to be able to groom out in the large shed behind our house and get rid of some of my overhead.
      I also have to say that I wouldn't mind too much going back to only booking up 2 to 3 weeks out. Booking most of my customers a year in advance can really have it's drawbacks sometimes. I found out that I had to have surgery last month, and it was a pain having to move people and find other appointments for them before the Thanksgiving holiday. I wasn't not able to move a very large Standard Poo that I groom, so I went in yesterday morning, groomed the dog (who showed up half an hour late) then I went to my surgical appointment. lol the things that we do for our customers!
      Anyway, thank you very much for your comments. I do sometimes wonder if my blog is really helping anyone, most of the comments that I get say that it is, but sometimes I wonder if other groomers really want to read about how I groom.
      I wish you much luck in your endeavors to educate the pet owners in your community. It sounds to me like you are doing a great job so far. :) Customer service and word of mouth is your best advertizement. If your customers really like you, what you do, and feel like you really care about them and their dog, they WILL tell other pet owners about you.
      Thanks again for reading...so excited to hear from someone from Ireland!
      Lisa, MFF

      Delete